Product Description of SG D3 Capsule
(SG D3 Capsule) Cholecalciferol (toxiferol, vitamin D3) is one of the five forms of vitamin D. It is a secosteroid, that is, a steroid molecule with one ring open.
cholecalciferol is synthesized by the body, and functions as a prehormone. Cholecalciferol is inactive: it is converted to its active form by two hydoxylations: the first in the liver, the second in the kidney, to form calcitriol, whose action is mediated by the vitamin D receptor, a nuclear receptor which regulates the synthesis of hundreds of enzymes and is present in virtually every cell in the body.
This medication is an analogue of vitamin D, prescribed for hypocalcaemia, hypoparathyroidism, hypophosphataemia, renal osteodystrophy, and osteomalacia. Since it does not require any activation process by kidneys like other vitamin D supplements, more useful for people who have kidney problems.
1. Prophylaxis: 400 IU/day and treatment 3000 -4000 IU/day of rickets & osteomalacia alternatively Oral/IM injection 3-6 Iac IU every 2-6 month interval.
2. Metabolic rickets :
• Vit D resistant rickets: high doses
• Vit D dependent rickets: calcitriol or alphacalcidiol
• Renal rickets: calcitriol or alphacalcidiol
3. Senile or post menopausal osteoporosis
4. Hypoparathyroidism : calcitriol or alphacalcidiol are better
5. Fanconis syndrome: Vit D can raise lowered phosphate levels that occur in this condition
6. Calcipotriol : Vitamin D analog used topically in psoriasis